Due to the nature of vintage clothing, we recommend purchasing one size down from your regular size. We provide a suggested 'Modern' sizing recommendation on each item.
Fashion sizing around the world was not standardised for mass production until very late in the 1950’s, so any size labels will vary from our modern day size guides. If the artwork was bespoke or predates 1960 there will most likely be no label at all - which leaves us to make an educated best-guess as to the size. General wear and washing of garments over time may also alter the size label from the actual size.
In all cases, we are happy to help and make suggestions for the best fit and your best look. Please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance prior to purchase.
- Shoulder: Measure your shoulder to shoulder from the centre part of your upper arm. Get someone to help do the same on your back.
- Bust: Measure your bust from under your arm right over the top and to the centre under your arm.
- Waist: Measure around the smallest point under your ribs and above hips.
- Hips: Measure all the way around the widest part of you around your hips.
- Most online sellers will measure items laid flat so this should give you a pretty good indicator of your measurements and you can do most of it yourself!
- Optional: measure around your head for over the head garment fit. Measure from centre of neck to waist and from waist to ankle for incremental lengths.
- Muscular? Such as arms, thighs or calves? Just measure the circumference! We are all unique.
|Size||NZ sizing||US sizing||Bust (cm)||Waist (cm)||Low Hip (cm)|
|XXS||4||2||32||24 - 25||33 - 34|
|XS||8||4||34 - 35||26 - 27||35 - 26|
|S||10||6||36 - 37||28 - 29||38 - 40|
|M||12||8||38 - 29||30 - 31||42 - 44|
|L||14||10||40 - 41||32 - 33||45 - 47|
|XL||16||12||42 - 43||34 - 35||48 - 50|
A personal note on sizing: In the physical store, often items are sold to people that think they are a size 16 and in fact they are a vintage 14. This is often because vintage clothing is often ‘fitted’ and designed to enhance and skim your lovely figure rather to be worn loose on the body - unless it is a Kaftan of course! Fast Fashion or 'Modern' sizing is generally what most people use when shopping nowadays. If the item has a label we will use the size as the ‘top’ size guide. Often the garments are a bit smaller by one or two sizes than the NZ sizing depending on the age of garment.